At least once a day, I get a phone call from a potential applicant and the first question that the applicant asks me is: “Are You Hiring.” My standard procedure for calls like this is to forward the applicant to my website to complete my online employment application. I no longer allow applicants to stop by my facility to ask 10, 000 questions and fill out an employment application…TOO TIME CONSUMING!
According to Bcobs.Ca “Pre-screening job applicants allows employers to narrow down the pool of applicants to those who are the best fit for the position—without spending hours doing in-depth interviews. Anyone can look good on paper, but a thorough pre-screening can separate the most appropriate applicants from all the rest and enables employers to save the lengthy interview process for only the very best.”
Today I want to share with you 5 ways to professionally screen potential applicants:
- Invite the applicant to fax or email a resume to you
- Review the resume for childcare experience and education
- Email the applicant to see if he or she is available to do a telephone interview with you
- After a 10-15 minute telephone interview, thank the applicant for his or her time
- If you feel that the applicant is the best person for the job, ask the applicant if her or she is available for a face-to face interview.
Interviewing and hiring new employees is very time-consuming, however, if you implement the 5-steps that are indicated above, you will save yourself some valuable time, during the screening process.
To Your Success,
I want to hear from me, feel free to email your childcare business questions to me at email@example.com or simply leave your comments in the space below. Discover How to Develop the Leader within you and manage your staff effectively in the 21-Day Mastermind eClub.
Leave a Reply