This is a great time to get your classroom(s) in order or simply makeover the environment. In fact, I believe that children learn best in an organized environment. I relate child’s play to shopping; when I go shopping on the weekends, I love to shop in an organized store.
If the store is not organized, I start to feel overwhelmed and most of the time, I leave the store. This is how a child feels when he or she is playing in a disorganized environment.
Have you ever watched a child wander throughout the classroom? Normally wandering children are looking for something to do or their minds are so over stimulated from too many choices, that they have a hard time making a choice.
This is why it is vital that your classroom space is organized in a manner that makes it easy for children to choose materials.
Moreover, I believe that the classroom is a great marketing tool. In fact, if the classroom space is organized and is educational, it will increase your chance of a parent choosing your childcare program.
Here are Eight Ways to Makeover and/or organize your classroom space :
1. Label Toy containers with words and pictures
2. Be sure that play areas are labeled with center signs (for a clearly defined space)
3. Use area rugs to define play areas
4. Require that children pick-up toys as they play. This prevents the classroom from looking like a tornado came through it.
5. At the end of the day, re-organize centers, so that when children return the next day, they will see what an organized environment looks like.
6. Be sure that everything has a place and remove clutter. (Too many toys, will overwhelm the children)
7. Have a system to rotate materials every other week; to prevent the children from getting bored. You really only need 6-8 basket of toys on one shelf. If it looks cluttered to you, it will be overwhelming to a child.
8. Arrange books on the book shelf in a manner where you can see the front of the book and throw away damaged books. This really entices a child to choose a book from the shelf.
I challenge you to get started today, because children learn best in an organized environment! Feel free to share your thoughts and organization ideas. Check out this article: Get Organized! Preparing Your classroom for Learning.
Be sure to check out the Curriculum Club and Grab Your Free Lesson Plans! Also, for more quality child care tips, be sure to register for the Child Care Business Owner ” Business Makeover” Teleseminar.
Comments on: "Classroom Organization Tips" (1)
[…] When everyone leaves for the day, walk your business and look for disorder and get it organized. An organized environment looks good to the eye and kids learn best in an organized environment. […]