Winter is will be arriving soon and this is a great time to develop or review your inclement weather plan. In fact, it seems that some winters we are better than others in terms of the amount of snow that we get,however, it is vital that parents know what to expect in the event there is inclement.
Here are Nine things that you can do to plan for inclement weather, assure that parents & staff know what to do in the event of inclement weather and other helpful tips:
1. Connect with your local news channel to find out how you can list your snow or closing schedule in the event of inclement weather.
2. Post a notice of your inclement weather procedures on your door and insert the notice in your parent handbook.
3. Have a list of your parents contact information at home with you; so that you can send out a group text about your planned snow or closing schedule.
4. If you plan to cancel transportation, notify parents at least 2-hours before school starts to allow parents enough time to locate back-up childcare.
5. Ahead of time, purchase ice melt or salt for your sidewalks to melt ice on your side walks.
6. Have a contract with a snow plow or landscaping company to clean your parking lot before your business opens in the event of inclement weather.
7. When conditions are too icy, you may want to consider planning a later opening time to allow staff and parents time to get to the center.
8. Post your plans to open later or close during inclement weather on your social media pages; at least 1 hour before your scheduled open time.
9. Be sure to provide updates to parents via voice mail, your website or your social media pages
I hope that you have found the tips in this blog post to be quite helpful to you. I look forward to hearing about how you plan to prepare in the event of inclement weather.
Be sure to subscribe to my weekly Child Care Owner business eNewsletter & Business tips. You will also get weekly or bi-weekly video/podcast tips. Subscribe Now!